Friday, December 28, 2012

Rich Forever (Prayers)

Do ya listen to Rick Ross? I been a fan of his for a while but my appreciation for him grew when I heard his mixtape "Rich Forever." One song in particular was "Keys to the Crib." It has the type of beat I fall for, the drop was tough and the lyrics were dope! But this post aint about Ross or his song, I just brought it up cause at the end of the song, no longer rapping, Ross asks:
"Okay, so if I'm rich now, is it too much to pray to be rich forever? Forgive me Lord!"

It's in that very moment when I first heard the song (and every time after) that I awoke from the trance the beat had put me in and I could only think to myself: "WOW." I'm sure you're asking "Why" or "What's the big deal?" That question hit me so hard because I had asked that question both to myself and out loud a million times before I ever heard that song. I've grown up in this very traditional Hispanic family and I was in catholic school all the way up until 9th grade, so I'm not unfamiliar with prayer. However I was always taught to pray for things like strength and pray for the less fortunate and basically pray to express my gratitude for what I do have, not necessarily for material things or the superficial earthly pleasures. So naturally when finding myself in a position of being "less fortunate" myself I wonder "Would praying to find money on the street be wrong?" With all the sick people dying of hunger and disease, is it wrong to pray for wealth and fortune? Forgive me Lord but at this point I ask you what Nas asked you in one of his songs: "Why wasn't I born to a doctor who left stocks to me?" Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for what I have, not a day passes by when I don't open my eyes and thank you for giving me another day of life that we all know isn't promised. I am grateful for my parents my family, and all the things I have, both material and otherwise. Health, ten fingers ten toes and all that good stuff. But for the love of all that is Holy can somebody please explain to my why its so hard to come up financially?

A quote that my brother loves to use all the time is "You're Alive" as to say, that's more than enough to be grateful for. I never argue with it but I always think to myself "Yeah, I'm alive, but do you realize how much being alive is costing me?
I start to think about the greatest job that I ever had, where I was actually happy. Of course it was short lived. After 10 months, with no warning and for no particular reason my job was taken at the end of September. So I was broke by the end of October, through the grace of God and the help of my cuz Mylez, I started another job at the beginning of November. Again, I'm grateful, but with my new job I've had to take a $6 pay cut and don't receive the same 40 hours I was at the last job. Also, I get paid bi-weekly, so the adjustment that I have to make is huge!
I know it sounds very wrong to complain about these things, but these are my problems. I'm also not trying to make them your problems nor am I reaching for your sympathy, I'm simply thinking out loud.

I can't help my mom around the house the way I want, I can't spoil myself the way I want, that business that I want to start up gets further and further because things always come up and I can't save up the way I want.
I'm living check to check and it's killing me! All I want is to be rich! And If I can't have that, I at least want to have enough to be able to do the things I want to, when I want to. I see people living good knowing they make as much as me or only a little bit more, and it doesn't add up! Lol, shit b, I want a tattoo and I have to wait for weeks and months to be able to get it. I want sneakers and clothes and a car, and well.... You see where I'm going with this. So it should be no wonder why those who are brave enough to do it go out and sell drugs. I know I always go back to that, but It's cause I find it to be true.

I know I'm coming off as a brat, complaining as if I have the biggest problems in the world, but.... So what? Lol, This is how I feel and I just felt like expressing it. So I ask: "Is it too much to pray to be Rich Forever? Forgive me Lord"

Stay up and Stay Tuned.

No comments: