Friday, April 9, 2010

Go Talk to Her

I was at the corner store of my block earlier with my cousin Severe when a few of the neighborhood children (ages 14-16) showed up. Now never mind the fact that its a thursday night and they are out minutes to midnight, but something that happened in the following minutes sort of amazed me.

A young lady (approx. 2 or 3 years older than them) walked out of the store and stood outside to wait for her bus.
Severe signaled to one of them and suggested that he go and say hello. The young mans response (in a sort of "Nah I'm too cool" tone) was "Nah, she too old for me" Severe then told another of the 3 "Go talk to her" the young man went into a nervous giggle and also said "Nah, she too old"

Now, this amazed me!
Allow me to explain to you why. Given I'm not around these kids 24-7 but in my neighborhood (which has calmed down since the early to mid 90's) everyone knows its the preteens, teenagers and young adults that are causing all the trouble now-a-days. If its not loitering in numbers that exceed 50 people and attracting attention from rival groups, its walking around with Guns, killing people on the roof.

I won't get into major details.
So before I stray too far away from the subject, I'd like to tell ya'll why I was amazed.
In my head I thought to myself:

"Wow, these lil kids are willing to pull a trigger at the drop of a dime and kill a stranger, they are anxious to prove to their peers that they are tough and will fight anyone at any moment, but ask them to exchange a few harmless words with someone of the opposite sex and they freeze and go into shock" what the hell part of the game is that?

I feel that so much of this, from their violent behavior to their inability to be social outside of their own circles comes from bad parenting, young mothers, and lack of father figures. There's honestly not much more I care to speak of on this topic just wanted to share that with you.

So to all the young boys and young men from around my way, I can sincerely say I wish you all the best, I understand you live in world of confusion and misguided role models and that's not your fault. I pray ya stray away from the paths you've taken and find another that will lead to good. Til then, stay outta trouble lil niggas.

Stay Up and Stay Tuned.

1 comment:

M33KS::4::MVS!C said...

Wow, this is so true. I strongly believe that a child's living environment has an affect on behavior {good and bad}. I hope those young men push through and are successful regardless of their circumstances..